Sunday, August 15, 2010

Three Days After Abdominoplasty

Thursday 8/12/10 early in the morning I had my tummy tuck. I had many concerns, from the caregiver help I need to hire, to keeping my cats away from me. First, the caregiver, who is an old acquittance and in the middle of her 2-year nursing program, turned out to be just great. Big thanks. My cats somehow sensed that they have to stay away from me, after couple of attempts to jump on the recliner, they just watch me from the distance. This is amazing.
The recovery:
Day one as predicted. Sore, bent in 90 degrees. Thankful for the pain killers. I went to see doctor that day - and he seemed to be very proud of his handiwork. From the repositioning of the belly button, to proclaiming some kind of record of stitching the muscles first at the edges (9 cm), but because that was still very loose, he went for 14 cm stitch, and finally for his record 28 cm. It was very reassuring to see him being so excited and proud. He warned me that the next two days will be worse as swelling will increase and should be at the max during day 3. Well, the next day was much better and today is even better. Friday the swelling and the new tightness made it difficult to breathe, but that is no longer happening. I will cut down the pain pills today, and see how I am doing without them. I am beginning to feel very ecstatic about that surgery knowing that worse is behind me. All is paid - at the tune of $10K, but that does not include other expenses like supplies, lab work, and caregiver. Overall this adventure will cost me about $13K. Out of pocket, as insurance does not cover anything. I suspect an additional bill because the surgery took an extra hour. After bariatric bypass I had an infection which resulted in ugly scar after one of the incisions. When Dr. Movassaghi called me after surgery, his first question was: "Do you know when do you have your belly button?" Trying to be smart Alec I guessed "Above my knee?"
I should not make jokes. He repositioned it exactly where I had the scar (and hernia underneath).
Overall I am in much better shape that I was expecting and that I was told I will be. That is why I can sit in my recliner and use my laptop...
To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you are doing well! I will keep you in my prayers.

    Diane Warner
    timeofmylife45.spaces.live.com

    ReplyDelete