- Fortify the protein:
I use unflavored protein mix (many varieties). For example: one container of Nile Organic Potato and Leak soup, just add boiling water and wait 5 minutes, has 110 calories and only 4 grams of protein. That means only 16 calories are from the protein - less than 15%. I try to keep my daily ratio of protein calories to total calories above 35%. By adding half scoop of protein mix (60 calories, 12 grams of protein, 80% ratio), my soup meal becomes 170 calories, 16 grams of protein, 37.6% ratio. I am still not dealing well with meat, so this 'trick' is sure way to boost protein intake and still create easily digestible meal.
- Eat soups:
I work a lot, live by myself and cooking is not really what I want to do. Soups (fortified with protein mix) solved my problem. Some of my favorites:
- Trader Joe Beef and Barley (200 cal, 14g protein - serves two meals) - a small carton.
- - Nile Organic few varieties - single meal, a cup with dry soup - add boiling water.
- - Health Valley Organic - microwavable.. - meal and a half.
- - Cooked shrimp
- - Fish (sashimi or broiled)
- - Cottage cheese (organic with live cultures - many store brands are 'dead')
- - Organic yogurt and kefir (again, live cultures!)
- - Canned tuna - go for better ones.
- - Trader's Joe reduced fat smoked Gouda.